August 21, 2014

Delicate Floral Designs, Superb Artistry

Finlandia_composite_x
Finlandia by Churchill features an embossed scallop design, a gorgeous blue and white color palette, and a Scandinavian-influenced floral motif. The stylish design and beautiful color of Finlandia make this the perfect complement to the dazzling Images-Medium Blue glassware and elegant Gigi flatware also featured here. Churchill was founded in 1795 at Stoke-on-Trent in the legendary china-producing region of Staffordshire, England. More than 200 years later, Churchill continues to be a leading manufacturer of high-quality tableware. According to Churchill company literature, its products are used in hospitality establishments in over 70 countries worldwide! In addition to Finlandia, Replacements, Ltd. carries a large number of Churchill patterns, including Willow, Briar Rose, Arctic, Pink Peony, and many others.

The stunning Images-Medium Blue glassware pattern by Gorham Crystal features a bold shape, with a smooth pulled stem, round foot, and eye-catching blue color. Gorham, originally known for its high-quality sterling silver, was founded in 1831 on Steeple Street in Providence, RI. Over the 180 years the company has been in business, it has produced a multitude of silver patterns, most notably, Chantilly, a household name, and the best-selling flatware pattern ever produced. In recent years, Gorham has moved into other tableware areas, including the production of exquisite crystal, like Images-Medium Blue, and high-quality china.

International Silver Gigi is an enchanting stainless steel flatware pattern with a glossy finish and graceful floral design that adorns both the edges and tip. International Silver started as a combination of America's greatest silver manufacturers. During the American Colonial period, New England was home to many artisans producing high-quality pewter, sterling, and silverplate, primarily in Connecticut. Around 1808, Ashbile Griswold opened a pewter shop in Meriden, Connecticut. Through mergers with regional companies, Griswold's original shop grew to comprise fourteen silver manufacturers, including Holmes and Edwards (Bridgeport), Meriden Britannia (Meriden), and Rogers Brothers (Hartford). In 1898, the International Silver Company became truly "international," establishing offices in England and Canada. Throughout the years, International Silver products have remained immensely popular.

August 12, 2014

Beautiful Blossoms, Delightful Designs

Plum_blossom_composite_x 
Mikasa Plum Blossom is fine blue-and-white china with a multi-sided shape and flowing, geometric border designs. Artfully rendered in the center of the plate is a graceful, blossoming plum tree. With its Asian-influnced design, the Plum Blossom pattern beautifully represents the craftsmanship and production excellence associated with the Mikasa company. In the early 1930s, Mikasa was established as an international trading company based in Secaucus, New Jersey. The company, while wholly American, looked to Japan for inspiration. Named in honor of Prince Mikasa, the youngest brother of Emperor Hirohito, Mikasa soon established itself as one of the most recognized Japanese brand names in the West. Importing merchandise produced by a network of over 150 manufacturers worldwide, the company itself never attempted to make any of the dinnerware it sold. Rather, the Mikasa branded items were imported from Japan, Ireland, England, France, and Germany. Business exploded in the 1950s, and tableware became the staple business for Mikasa. Customer requests were pouring in from all parts of the country, and department stores including Bloomingdale's and Macy's could not keep enough stock to meet demand. Consumers found Mikasa ceramics to be very strong, versatile, and stylish. By the beginning of the 1960s, Mikasa had established a reputation as "the pioneer of American casual." Today, Mikasa continues to leverage the momentum it has built over the decades since its inception.

With a concave bowl and platinum trim, Lenox Crystal Plum Blossoms features a continuous, delicate floral design, a multisided stem, and a round foot. The beautiful design of this crystal serves as the ideal complement to the organic and geometric shapes of Mikasa's Plum Blossom and the elegant refinement of Towle's Lady Mary sterling. Founded in 1889 by Walter Scott Lenox in Trenton, NJ, the "Staffordshire of America" in its time, the Lenox Ceramic Pottery Company produced art-quality pieces. By 1897 examples of Lenox's work were displayed at the Smithsonian Institution in Washington, DC. In 1918, President and Mrs. Woodrow Wilson commissioned a set of Lenox for the White House, making it the first American china to grace a president's table. Lenox introduced its line of hand-blown crystal in 1966. 
 
Produced by Towle from 1917 to 1996, the streamlined and understated Lady Mary sterling pattern features a multi-sided tip, an outlined/beveled edge, geometric elements, and a glossy finish. Towle is founded on the craftsmanship and artistry of the Moulton family of England, who over six generations of silver making, raised their artisanship to a high art. A young man named Anthony Towle would join William Moulton IV as an apprentice. When Moulton retired, Towle and a partner, William Jones, bought the Moulton family stock and formed Towle & Jones in 1857. With such a long history and distinguished tradition, Towle's patterns resonate with skill and pride in craft.

July 29, 2014

Eye-Catching Floral Designs

Buttercup_composite_x
Buttercup by Spode is a gorgeous earthenware pattern produced from 1924 to 1992. Buttercup has a rimmed, scalloped design adorned with beautiful floral sprays and a warm color palette. Spode founder Josiah Spode opened the doors of his porcelain factory in 1780. Under his guidance, the factory introduced two important breakthroughs in the development of English ceramics. Using bone ash, Spode was the first English china maker to achieve higher firing temperatures, resulting in beautifully detailed, longer-lasting china. The company's second important achievement was perfecting "underglaze" decorating. Intricate designs could be applied to china that would last for decades and were much more resistant to chipping, scratching, or fading, at prices affordable to England's burgeoning middle class.

Lenox Crystal Fontaine (Gold Trim) features a multisided stem, gold trim, and an exquisite etched floral bowl design. The elegant floral design of Fontaine (Gold Trim) serves as the perfect complement to the delicate Buttercup china and chic Queen's Lace flatware. Since the 1950s, Lenox has been the tableware of choice for a significant percentage of homes in this country. Responding to consumer demand, Lenox introduced a line of hand-blown crystal to complement its china in 1966. In 1991, again responding to consumers, Lenox began to produce silver flatware, making it the first company in America to offer the complete tabletop.

Produced from 1949 to 2003, International Silver Queen's Lace is an enchanting sterling flatware pattern that incorporates floral, scalloped, and beaded design elements on a pierced handle. International Silver started as a combination of America's greatest silver manufacturers. During the American Colonial period, New England was home to many artisans producing high-quality pewter, sterling, and silverplate, primarily in Connecticut. Around 1808, Ashbil Griswold opened a pewter shop in Meriden, Connecticut. Through mergers with regional companies, Griswold's original shop grew to comprise fourteen silver manufacturers, including Holmes and Edwards (Bridgeport), Meriden Britannia (Meriden), and Rogers Brothers (Hartford). In 1898, the International Silver Company became truly "international," establishing offices in England and Canada. Throughout the years, International Silver products have remained immensely popular.

July 15, 2014

Gorgeous Floral Designs For Summer

Botanic_garden_2012_composite_x
Portmeirion Botanic Garden is rimmed, round china with a multi-motif floral design and brightly colored butterflies, bees, or dragonflies at the center. At the bottom of the design is the Latin botanical name and English common name of each featured floral design. A verdant, geometrical leaf design is painted on the rim. The pattern offers a spectacular array of choices, not only in the floral designs, but also in the shapes and sizes of the china! Depicted here is Clematis Florida, "Virgin's Bower." Portmeirion artist Susan Ellis-Williams came up with the multi-motif idea for Botanic Garden in 1972, when she was looking through rare books at an antiquarian shop. A volume of old, beautifully colored, meticulously drawn illustrations called out to her. The launch of Botanic Garden included 28 different flower types and was an immediate success!

A knobbed, multi-sided stem, concave bowl that flares at the top, and gold trim enhances the criss-cross, fan, and floral cuts of Royal Doulton Wellesley Gold crystal. The pattern beautifully represents the production excellence for which Royal Doulton has become world renowned. Founded as Doulton and Watts in Lambeth, England, in 1815, the company produced both household and industrial ceramics. John Doulton's sons, who had joined their father in the business, eventually formed companies of their own. But turmoil in the British financial markets forced the businesses to dissolve. In 1853, they reformed as Doulton and Co. (In 1901, King Edward VII conferred a Royal Warrant upon Doulton and Co. to honor the company's production of ceramic vessels that successfully filtered pollutants from the water of the Thames River, London's primary source for drinking water.)

First produced in 1951, International Silver Old Charleston is an alluring sterling flatware pattern with an elegant floral motif, a scalloped tip, and a glossy finish. International Silver started as a combination of America's greatest silver manufacturers. During the American Colonial period, New England was home to many artisans producing high-quality pewter, sterling, and silverplate, primarily in Connecticut. Around 1808, Ashbile Griswold opened a pewter shop in Meriden, Connecticut. Through mergers with regional companies, Griswold's original shop grew to comprise fourteen silver manufacturers, including Holmes and Edwards (Bridgeport), Meriden Britannia (Meriden), and Rogers Brothers (Hartford). In 1898, the International Silver Company became truly "international," establishing offices in England and Canada. Throughout the years, International Silver products have remained immensely popular.

July 03, 2014

Striking Summer Patterns

Pomona_composite_x 
Named for the Roman goddess of fruit, the Pomona pattern by Portmeirion features a wonderful palette of colors with life-like depictions of fruits in its designs. The artistic depictions of different fruits are based on illustrations from "Pomona Britannica," a book originally published in 1812 that featured detailed illustrations of a variety of fruits. The "Hoary Morning Apple" plate featured here features a gorgeous red apple and delicate apple blossoms, all surrounded by carefully detailed leaves. First introduced in 1982, the Pomona pattern was designed by the co-founder of Portmeirion, Susan Williams-Ellis, who also designed Portmeirion's most popular pattern, Botanic Garden. Susan's art studies enabled her to design both shapes and surface patterns for Portmeirion (a combination of skills that was rare at the time), and her designs have become very popular.

Royal Pierpont-Pink is splendid crystal made by one of the best-known manufacturers in the world, Noritake. This graceful blown glass pattern features a gorgeous pink color, with a concave bowl that flares at the top, a swirl optic design, a pulled stem, and a round foot. Noritake produces many crystal patterns designed to complement its dinnerware. The company's crystal and glassware collection includes handmade, mouth-blown, and machine-made stems. Noritake's manufacturing supplies were cut off during World War II, but the company's products again became available in 1948. Many of these post-war wares were created specifically with the American consumer in mind. For Noritake collectors, there are many historical ambiguities surrounding the company; destruction of company records during the war years means that some questions will never be answered.

Spring Vista by Lenox Flatware is an 18/8 stainless steel pattern featuring a glossy finish, a sprightly floral motif, and a whimsical, asymmetrical design that perfectly complements the Pomona china and Royal Pierpont-Pink crystal patterns. Lenox China is a great American success story. It was founded in 1889 by Walter Scott Lenox as "The Lenox Ceramic Pottery Company." Born in 1859, Lenox was named for the nineteenth-century Scottish writer, Sir Walter Scott. Lenox grew up in Trenton, NJ, the "Staffordshire of America" of its time. With excellent transportation and good sources of fuel and clay, the state capital of New Jersey became the nation's leading center for ceramics production. Lenox first organized his company as an art studio, producing one-of-a-kind pieces for a select market. By 1897, examples of the company's work were displayed at the Smithsonian Institution in Washington, D.C., and by 1906 the company was producing complete sets of dinnerware. In 1918, President and Mrs. Woodrow Wilson commissioned a set of Lenox for the White House, making it the first American china to grace a U.S. president's table. Lenox added hand-blown lead crystal to its product lines in 1966, and, with the addition of Lenox silver flatware in 1991, Lenox became the first American company to offer the complete tabletop. By the end of the twentieth century, about half the china on dinner tables in the United States was made by Lenox.

June 17, 2014

Franciscan Wildflower Teapot

This rare teapot from the lovely Wildflower pattern by Franciscan features a hand-painted underglaze floral design rendered in a gorgeous color palette. A 1942 Franciscan advertisement describes the pattern as "A hand-painted embossed design embodying the colorful wildflowers that make the slopes and valleys of California one of the world's most spectacular sights each spring...the dramatic yellow gold of the Poppy and the brilliant blue of the Lupin join gaily with the more subtle colors of the Shooting Star and the Mariposa Lily."

Museum_FN_WILD_tp_x

Wildflower stood as a warm, distinctly American contrast to the petite floral designs and gilded accents of traditional European bone china. Although Wildflower was only produced for a short amount of time (from 1942 to 1945), there were around 30 different piece types created in the pattern, including vegetable bowls, cup and saucer sets, jam jars, water pitchers, and more. Wildflower also included matching glassware from Imperial Glass that was hand painted to coordinate with the pattern.

Museum_FN_WILD_tp_flower_detail_x

Gladding, McBean & Co. began production of Franciscan dinnerware in 1934 at their plant in Glendale, California. According to Bob Page and Dale Frederiksen in their book, "Franciscan: An American Dinnerware Tradition," Gladding, McBean & Co. formed in 1875 to produce tile for waterworks and sanitation systems for the then-expanding American West. Over the years they acquired several regional potteries and expanded their product lines several times to include roof tile, decorative art tiles, garden pottery, and art pottery.

Originally, the dinnerware line was sold as Franciscan Pottery and included solidly colored, bright earthenware in the casual style of Mexican folk pottery. This informal tableware was a warm friendly note in the midst of the Great Depression, and the company selection of the Franciscan name, an allusion to Franciscan monks, further played into the Southwest imagery. With names like El Patio, Coronado, and Montecito, 1930's Franciscan patterns embodied the California casual style and sold well.

Museum_FN_WILD_tp_backstamp_x

The name was altered to Franciscan Ware in the late 1930s to allow for a more upscale and broader image. Shortly thereafter, the company introduced raised relief, hand-painted patterns like Apple and Desert Rose that proved hugely successful. Other hand-painted patterns such as Ivy, October, and Fresh Fruit became quite popular during this time as well. Ivy was even featured on the sets of "I Love Lucy" and the "Donna Reed Show." At the pinnacle of its fame, Franciscan pieces were purchased by some of America's most famous families. Noteworthy are the 1961 order by Jacqueline Kennedy for Desert Rose to be used on Air Force One, and the 1969 selection of Franciscan china by president Richard Nixon for service aboard the presidential yacht. Other orders for special services for royalty from around the world were also filled.

June 10, 2014

Summer Flora and Fauna

Charnwood_composite_x

 
Charnwood is a gorgeous bone china pattern produced by Wedgwood from 1951 to 1987. The asymmetrical floral design of the pattern features rich colors and verdant foliage replete with butterflies and other insects seamlessly incorporated into the design, complemented by stylish gold trim. In 1759, Josiah Wedgwood established a pottery at the "Ivy House Works" in Burslem, England. During his first 10 years of business, Wedgwood made many advances in the refining of porcelain. One of Wedgwood's most important creations was creamware, true fine china that was easy to produce, relatively inexpensive to make, easily decorated, and desired by royalty and commoner alike. In 1765, King George III's wife, Queen Charlotte, solicited Wedgwood to be "Potter to His and Her Majesty." As a result of his new title, Wedgwood changed the official name of his creamware to "Queen's Ware." Jasperware, a non-glazed porcelain featuring classical figures in bas-relief, was another important invention of Wedgwood's, and has become virtually synonymous with the Wedgwood name.

Westchester by Tiffin/Franciscan was produced from 1965 to 1978, and is a stunningly beautiful crystal pattern. The design of Westchester features a convex bowl that curves in at the top, a knobbed, multi-sided air-bubble stem with an hourglass shape, and a round, clear foot. The upper half of the non-optic bowl is adorned with a gold encrusted band with an ornate floral design. The Tiffin Glass Company was founded in 1888, when the A.J. Beatty & Sons Glass Factory in Steubenville, Ohio, announced that it would be moving its facilities across the state to Tiffin, Ohio. The new plant began production in 1889, and just three years later, A.J. Beatty & Sons merged into the United States Glass Company. By 1963, USGC had gone into bankruptcy, but a year later, Tiffin Art Glass was born, reviving the company's tradition of quality stemware. When Tiffin Art Glass was acquired by the Continental Can Company two years later, it was renamed the Tiffin Glass Company. Tiffin became a division of the Interpace Corporation in January 1976, and introduced the Franciscan Ware line to its manufacture of pressed glass, sandwich glass, white milk glass, and stemware. In 1979, Leonard Silver Manufacturing Company, a division of Towle Silver, purchased the glassworks. Tiffin Glass Company remained under Leonard Silver's control until closing its doors in 1983. Tiffin/Franciscan was long noted for the high quality of its crystal, and the gorgeous Westchester pattern featured here is a showcase of craftsmanship and design.

Oneida Stanton Hall is an ornate floral motif sterling pattern that features a pointed, scalloped end with a flower at the tip, a beveled, scroll edge design, and a glossy finish. Produced by Oneida for over fifty years, from 1951 to 2004, the floral elegance of Stanton Hall serves as a wonderful complement to the equally ornate Charnwood china and Westchester crystal. Oneida, Ltd. grew out of the original Oneida Community founded in upstate New York by John Humphrey Noyes in 1848. This Christian communal society was based upon the principles of individual self-perfection and shared property. Many products were manufactured by the Oneida Community, including animal traps, silk, chains, and, eventually, some of the world's most recognizable, high-quality, and beautifully designed flatware. During World War I and World War II, Oneida began producing many products for the U.S. military, including ammunition clips, combat knives, surgical instruments, and silverware for the Army and Navy. When stainless steel was introduced to the market in the early twentieth century, it failed make an immediate impression on the flatware industry. Oneida, however, decided to shift its focus from sterling to stainless flatware production. Strong research and development greatly improved the quality of stainless steel as a dinnerware material, facilitating Oneida's success in the stainless flatware market. Today, Oneida, Ltd. is one of the world's largest marketers of stainless steel flatware, positioned to continue being a leader in the tableware industry for generations to come.

June 03, 2014

Ornate Rose Designs, Outstanding Craftsmanship

Queens_bouquet_composite_x
Queen's Bouquet by Rosenthal/Continental is rimmed, scallop-shaped cream-colored china showcasing vibrant sprays of flowers on the center and rim. The verge (the verge area is where the well of the plate merges with the rim) features an exquisite gold trim that also frames the floral bouquets around the rim. This gorgeous pattern is nothing short of regal in look and design! Phillip Rosenthal began his business in 1884 by purchasing white ware and applying designs hand painted by his wife Maria, then selling them door to door. In 1891, he established a factory in Asch, Bohemia and began production of white ware for use in his workshop. From 1897 to 1936, Rosenthal acquired several factories in Germany, and the popularity of patterns like Moss Rose helped the business grow rapidly; by WWII, Rosenthal employed over 5,000 people. When WWII ended, Rosenthal's son, Phillip, returned to Germany where he modernized out of date factories and reestablished lost markets. Phillip quickly rebuilt the business by reaching new customers interested in the modern shapes and artistry of his dinnerware. To this day, Rosenthal continues to work with leaders in fashion and design to create unique and striking tabletop designs.

Featuring a knobbed, multi-sided stem, convex cut bowl, and round foot, the enchanting design of Royal Leerdam Carola crystal beautifully complements the more intricate Queen's Bouquet china and Rose sterling patterns. Royal Leerdam was founded as a bottle factory in 1765 in the Dutch city of Leerdam. In 1878, the company expanded to facilitate the production of pressed and blown glass. In 1915, a team of architects and designers that included K. P. C. de Bazel, Cornelis de Lorm, and Andries Dirk Copier was commissioned to design Royal Leerdam glassware. Gilde glass, a line designed by Copier, featured an understated elegance that has made it one of the most popular Royal Leerdam patterns to date. After World War II, Royal Leerdam continued to produce distinctive and stylish patterns under the leadership of chief designer Floris Meydam, who worked at Leerdam from 1944 to 1986. Royal Leerdam is currently part of the American glassware company, Libbey, Inc., and its products continue to be highly sought by collectors worldwide.

First produced in 1898, Rose (Sterling) by Wallace Silver features a narrow waist that broadens into an ornate handle adorned with a stunning rose bouquet. Wallace Silver, established in Connecticut nearly two centuries ago, has long been recognized for excellence in tableware craftsmanship. The founder of the company, Robert Wallace, was born in 1815 into a family of silversmiths who had emigrated to New England from Scotland. Apprenticed to William Mix, a renowned Connecticut spoon maker, Wallace purchased a dilapidated grist mill after mastering his trade, and began to produce his own silver flatware in 1833. Rose is just one of many examples of Wallace Silver's high-quality work.

May 20, 2014

Royal Winton "Quilt" Salad Plate

This charming square salad plate in the Quilt pattern (number 4515) by Royal Winton showcases a variety of different overlapping quilt-themed designs. Quilt was produced in the late 1930s, around the same time as Tartans, a similar Royal Winton pattern (number 4514). Although the Quilt pattern isn't a traditional chintz design, its creator, Royal Winton, has become inexorably linked with chintz dinnerware.

Museum_RWIQUI_sps_x

The story of Royal Winton begins when Leonard Grimwade and his brother Sydney began a small pottery trade in Stoke-on-Trent in 1885. Two inventions of Leonard Grimwade's, duplex lithographic transferring, and the Climax kiln, would forever change how chintz was produced, and also had a significant impact on the dinnerware industry as a whole. Duplex lithographs were designs printed on thin tissues, with detachable backs. Pattern prints were applied to the paper, and then transferred to the ceramic piece by removing the detachable backing. This new process allowed chintz patterns to be produced quickly and efficiently.

Museum_RWIQUI_bkstp_x

To complement the pattern application process, Leonard created the Climax kiln. Unlike traditional kilns that had to be loaded, heated, cooled, then unloaded, the Climax Kiln operated continuously, and ceramics were moved in and out with carts on wheels. Ceramics, and in particular chintz patterns, could now be mass-produced. Royal Winton's first chintz design, Marguerite, was an immediate success upon its introduction in 1928. The company followed this success with another chintz pattern, Delphinium, three years later. Over the next 30 years, Royal Winton would release more than 50 chintz designs, including popular patterns like Summertime, Old Cottage Chintz, Welbeck, Sweet Pea, and Cheadle. Royal Winton patterns remain highly collectible.

May 01, 2014

Blossoms For Spring!

Chelsea_garden_2012_composite_x
Chelsea Garden by Spode is a gorgeous bone china pattern produced from 1952 to 1988. Chelsea Garden has a rimmed, scalloped design adorned with beautiful, asymmetrical floral sprays and a warm mustard-colored trim. Spode founder Josiah Spode opened the doors of his porcelain factory in 1780. Under his guidance, the factory introduced two important breakthroughs in the development of English ceramics. Using bone ash, Spode was the first English china maker to achieve higher firing temperatures, resulting in beautifully detailed, longer-lasting china. The company's second important achievement was perfecting "underglaze" decorating. Intricate designs could be applied to china that would last for decades and were much more resistant to chipping, scratching, or fading, at prices affordable to England's burgeoning middle class.

Wildflower-Clear crystal by Cambridge flares at the top, with a delicate, cascading floral design etched on the concave bowl. The stem of the glass is ornate, with a textured, molded design, and a round foot. This shapely, intricate pattern is the very epitome of elegance! The Cambridge Glass Company was founded in 1873, when a group of businessmen from the town of Cambridge, Ohio chartered a glass producing facility.  Most of the company's early designs were heavy, pressed-glass patterns. The company achieved steady growth during the early part of the twentieth century, and during the 1920s, 30s, and 40s the company released its most successful shapes, colors, and etchings. In 1931, the company debuted its very successful Rose Point etching, as well as the popular Nude Stems collection.  Many of the company's most famous colors were developed during this period, including "Carmen," "Crown Tuscan," "Royal Blue," and "Heatherbloom."  Soon after the end of World War II, the company began to experience declining sales. In 1958, the company closed its doors, and Imperial Glass acquired all of Cambridge's molds and equipment.

Produced from 1903 to 1974, International Silver Frontenac is an enchanting sterling flatware pattern with an exquisite floral design that perfectly complements Chelsea Garden china by Spode and Wildflower-Clear crystal by Cambridge. International Silver started as a combination of America's greatest silver manufacturers. During the American Colonial period, New England was home to many artisans producing high-quality pewter, sterling, and silverplate, primarily in Connecticut. Around 1808, Ashbile Griswold opened a pewter shop in Meriden, Connecticut. Through mergers with regional companies, Griswold's original shop grew to comprise fourteen silver manufacturers, including Holmes and Edwards (Bridgeport), Meriden Britannia (Meriden), and Rogers Brothers (Hartford). In 1898, the International Silver Company became truly "international," establishing offices in England and Canada. Throughout the years, International Silver products have remained immensely popular.